The ever-growing use of smart devices has already influenced all aspects of human life and has triggered the emergence of the smart home. Existing solutions embrace a wide range of technologies such as entertainment, security, utilities, lighting, energy management and more. Other sectors will soon come on board, while the global smart home market is predicted to accumulate $53.45 billion by 2022.
The global smart home market, 2016-2022
However, these solutions demand a proper home automation mobile app to coordinate all system components and create an efficient infrastructure. Smart home app development helps address this requirement.
What Is Smart Home and Why Is It Gaining Traction?
Not only have the devices we use become smart, but so have our houses. Smart home, aka home automation, is a technology that integrates IoT-connected household appliances into comprehensive networks and enables their efficient collaboration while minimizing human participation. To understand why these solutions require a proper mobile control app, we will examine what makes up a smart home.
The Types of Smart Home Solutions
By making the most out of IoT, smart home technologies have completely changed the way people go about their daily routines, which provides significant benefits. We will investigate the capabilities of these solutions through the example of SaM Solutions’ application that embraces a number of devices and systems and performs the following functions:
- The management of household and entertainment appliances. A coffee maker brews coffee by the time you wake up, an oven cooks dinner before a family returns home, and a vacuum cleans the house before guests arrive. Also, users can turn on lighting, TV and sound systems while they are away on vacation to disorient potential intruders.
- Energy consumption governance. A washing machine’s socket disconnects from the power network after the laundry is finished, and so does that of a dishwasher after the device has finished its job.
- Temperature control. Thermostats adjust heating and air conditioning systems, maintaining the required temperature.
- Lighting orchestration. Entryway lighting switches on before people come home, while the dimming control adjusts to outside light intensity.
- The locking and unlocking of doors and windows. Welcome guests can enter the house when owners are away, and windows and vent panes close when the weather breaks.
- Alerting. The house owner and respective services get alerts in cases of a smoke condition, gas and CO leaks or a break-in.
Naturally, the capabilities of smart house system are not limited to these examples. The beauty of these systems is that they allow users to create configurations and environments that perfectly fit their specific demands.
The Benefits of Smart Home Solutions
Recently, an increasing number of users have opted for smart home technologies as they provide the following benefits:
- Enhanced comfort. Solutions simplify many of the household activities such as cooking, cleaning, heating and more, as well as facilitate the use of infotainment appliances and help create a comfortable environment. Also, they help eliminate trifling processes that can be performed automatically, such as light switching on/off, shade lowering, window opening and more.
- Cost reduction. While the implementation of the solutions requires spending on purpose-oriented devices and related software and services, the savings down the road greatly outweigh the initial investment. Proper configuration of lighting, heating and energy consumption systems enables significant savings, not to mention the alarm system that helps prevent fire or water leakage damage or losses from a break-in.
- Enhanced security. Video surveillance together with a finely tuned signaling system protects from or helps to address emergency situations in a timely manner, such as a break-in, fire, gas and water leaks.
Why Should Companies Opt for Mobile Smart Home Control Apps?
Modern smart home solutions are much more than just software that allows cooking dinner by the specified time. Nowadays, these solutions are responsible for many aspects of a user’s life, as they concern time management, well-being, and even safety and privacy.
An efficient smart home environment goes hand-in-hand with a comprehensive application that manages the interaction of devices, cloud software, IoT gateways and other components of the home infrastructure. Only users can select appropriate options that meet their specific requirements and preferences, which is why they require user involvement.
Also, hardly anybody would like to leave their solutions unattended, without proper monitoring and control. That is why a smart home app development company should complement its solution with full-fledged control software.
The heavy use of connected devices encourages the focus on portables as the major consumer of smart home control solutions. Depending on a number of purposes that these apps serve, they fall into the two types: single-purpose software and smart hubs:
Single-purpose applications. Control software that covers one specific area, such as Oral-B App that manages the vendor’s Bluetooth-based electrical toothbrushes. The software monitors tooth cleaning: it determines for how long users should brush their teeth and to which areas they should pay special attention.
Smart hubs. Software that governs a variety of devices integrated into powerful aim-specific systems. For example, Apple Home application integrates a wide range of HomeKit-enabled accessories and manages lighting, heating, air conditioning, video surveillance, security and other systems. A user can issue commands both by telling Siri what to do or via 3D Touch that enables performing sophisticated tasks.
Smart hubs enable the most comfortable management of home systems, which is why this type of control software is now on the rise. The most well-recognized solutions are those of the technology market leaders – Google Home, Samsung Smart Home, LG Smart ThinQ, Amazon Alexa, Philips Hue and Apple’s Home.Check our mobile software development experience
Developing a Robust Mobile Smart Home Control Application
Efficient smart house applications serve as home environment remote controllers that allow reaching houses via an internet connection and configuring and changing required settings. A control app is a bridge that connects the smart environment to the user as it provides a thorough grip on all of the home’s IoT-connected life aspects. That is why many companies seek a solution that controls appliances and systems efficiently and safely.
As with any software, a company should take standard steps from prototyping to implementation to build a smart home app.
Proper solution designing and prototyping is the key factor that helps companies successfully develop a smart home automation app. That is why we will analyze the vital aspects that companies should consider, in the context of SaM Solutions’ application.
These apps have a wide range of features that may vary with any specific project. However, any solution should possess the following critical features, regardless of its functionality:
- Remote access. It is a prerequisite for a solution that is meant to streamline and simplify users’ lives as it allows managing devices via a mobile device, and it is what these solutions are about.
- Systemwide connectivity. Devices should communicate easily within the system, for example, vis the wireless connection; otherwise, they cannot execute instructions.
- The availability of multifold settings and configurations. Since the apps manage environments that involve various combinations of numerous appliances, they should provide extensive customization capabilities to meet specific requirements of each individual user.
- Push notification capability. This feature allows users to know about emergency situations as they occur by receiving notifications.
- The availability for all mobile operating systems and devices. Software development companies should bring their solutions within the reach of the users of all mobile platforms, especially iOS and Android, and device types.
Powerful Data Visualization
Efficient data visualization considerably adds to app usability and helps users make more informed decisions, such as those that concern the optimization of energy consumption. Information visibility rests on comprehensive data analysis as it allows to turn raw data into valuable insights that enable intelligent decision-making. In our application, we rely on Big Data and IoT Edge algorithms for better data parsing and analysis.
A company determines the software purpose, which influences the number and the variety of devices that application will manage, as well as its complexity.
While companies tend to equip their solutions with a myriad of features to win as many customers as possible, we recommend going easy on excess information and capabilities. Although users seem to benefit from lavish functionality, it may frighten them instead: very few have the desire and time to understand the overly sophisticated capabilities. As a result, they will fall back on less elaborate solutions provided by competitors.
The requirement definition also determines the choice of hardware that the application uses. From the common user’s point of view, a vendor should not focus its solution on specific appliance manufacturer and should provide the freedom of choice.
UI and UX Design
As with the excessive capabilities, the solution’s user interface and user experience should be user-friendly. Customers want these applications to streamline their lives, which is why a non-intuitive interface may force them to steer clear of your offering.
Manage Smart Home Expertly
Smart home solutions significantly simplify human lives and eliminate many of the processes that have previously demanded considerable efforts. They streamline everyday routines and free a significant amount of time while providing people with comfort, safety and time to take care of themselves.
We know that efficient software is a prerequisite for a full-fledged solution. To develop a mobile app for a smart home system, a company needs to have thorough subject-matter knowledge, which is why we recommend turning to expert service providers.
SaM Solutions provides services of software development for companies that operate in a variety of industries, such as manufacturing, logistics, B2C, healthcare and more. With our software, end users fully enjoy opportunities and benefits that IoT and smart devices deliver.